We had one of the worst hurricane seasons that I can ever remember in my forty years living in my house. I knew that it was going to be bad because we had not had a bad year for storms in some time and we were due for a very active storm season. My mom told me that when I bought my house that I should get some window plantation shutters so that I can actually pull the shutters closed on my windows in case there was going to be a storm coming. I live close to the water and the winds can be pretty bad on a breezy day. When there are hurricane force winds, my windows can shake and if I do not put the shutters on them I swear that they will break. Continue reading Breezes Can Lead to High Winds
There are many discussions about the best way, to market and sell a house, to its greatest potential, and to assure, it, is displayed, in the best possible, light! However, there must be a balance, so the homeowner, avoids wasting money, yet enhances the way, his house, shows! While some larger, more expensive houses, may, benefit from, and should hire a quality, professional, home – stager, the cost of doing so, makes it counter – indicated, in several other circumstances. With that in mind, and with the hope of achieving, the best of both worlds, this article will briefly examine, and review, 6 do – it – yourself, relatively inexpensive ways, to stage, your home.
1. Clean; reduce clutter: Perhaps the single, best step, and component of showing your house, to its potential, is to pay keen attention, to maintaining its overall cleanliness, inside, and outside! Excessive clutter is often, not merely distracting, and shows a house, in a less than optimum light, but creates, a negative, first impression!
2. Examine decor; freshen – up; accentuate the positive: It’s unwise to spend, excessively, on new furniture and/ or furnishings, but it makes sense, to look objectively, and examine, simple ways, to improve the decor. Perhaps you might decide, to freshen the way it presents, by covering older, warn, sofas and chairs, with pleasant – looking, slip – covers! How might you accentuate certain areas, either by how you relocate furniture, lights, etc, or with lighting, accent – paints, etc?
3. Paint – Touch – up, and freshen: It’s often too costly to repaint one’s entire house, but it may make, a ton of difference, when you touch – up areas, which are most visible, while freshening, and refreshing, the overall look of the home!
4. Set scenes: Create little scenes, which provide a warmer, personal, friendly feeling! Using vases, in key locations, with colorful flowers, etc, fruit bowls, setting the table, with attractive place – settings, etc, often create an emotional, attraction, for potential buyers!
5. Lighting: You want to make certain, there is sufficient light, to show off, the most desirable features of the home! Certain areas might benefit from mood – lighting, while others are improved, by being certain, there are good quality bulbs, and the lighting is neither too bright, nor too dull. Use bulbs which create the best impression, in various locations, around the house!
6. Curb appeal: Power – wash sidewalks, foundation, walls and roofing, etc. Inspect windows, and clean them, thoroughly. Remove any accumulation of debris and/ or grime, from areas such as window – sills! What impression will potential buyers have, from the appearance of your front door? Remember, curb appeal is often, a key difference, between, enticing people, to look, in a favorable light, versus turning, them, off!
These 6 basic, simple, do – it – yourself, keys, often, make a significant difference, in achieving the best possible results! Will you be willing to work, with your real estate agent, as a team, and make the best impression?
Decorating a small bedroom can be a very challenging and tricky task as there is not enough space. Often we find ourselves confused about how we should go about decorating a small bedroom so that it looks grand. Check out these 5 smart ways to decorate your little space in your home so that it looks grand and classy.
1. Light Shades
While setting up the right color scheme for your bedroom, you should always consider going for lighter shades or patterns first. Why is that so? Because light shades of white or grey can ultimately give your bedroom an airier look and you will feel that more space is created in it so you can put some other decorative items in it too.Using dark shades or wall paints will give your bedroom a more congested look so try to avoid it.
Bedroom décor is incomplete without a good looking window. Natural light is considered to be a valuable asset by home décor experts as the light brightens your bedroom so effortlessly that you will be amazed about it yourself.Putting up a nice pair of silk fabricated or velvet woven curtains will add more charm and class to your bedroom décor if you will tie them up with the window in the form of drapes.
Adding a bookshelf or rack to your bedroom will help save a lot of space as it would cover not organize the books and magazines in your room but also you can use the shelves to include decorative items personalize your space. Moreover, you can also turn the headboard of your bed into a bookshelf as well.In this way; you will be not be compelled to add more storage space in your room.
From little to big, every accessory in your bedroom contributes towards the overall décor. Same goes for the beddings as well.
Try using floral or abstract patterned bed spreads, polyester comforters or blankets and light colored cushions or pillow sets. Moreover, you can give your bed a more curved outlook rather than the huge giant look so that it takes up less space in your bedroom.
Don’t hesitate to use a pair of huge mirrors either embedded in the dressing table or just hanged on any of the walls in your bedroom. See how adding a mirror can transform the entire outlook of your bedroom in a jiffy and will give it a more royal and grand ambiance.
Modern styles are definitely popular when it comes to the home. Why not go for a modern bedroom that lightens the atmosphere and allows it to be more interesting? Here is how you can do it.
The idea of modernism is minimalism. Modern styles use many geometric shapes and neutral colours such as black, white and grey. The personalisation is added with the smaller design elements such as the mirrors, bedding, curtains and door handles.
Built in shelves and high bookshelves are both great. Built in shelves or cupboards allow you to have more space. Bookshelves that reach the ceilings give you more places to place your books and ornaments so that you won’t have to get a second unit.
Float your bed. Not literally, of course! Build a pedestal for your bed and use that space underneath the unit to store your clothes and shoes. This might also be sufficient as extra storage for your bedding and it will give you more wall space for any other items.
Install bedside lamps on your wall. Then you won’t need to have a bedside table. Or you won’t need a very large bedside table, anyway. One that’s just small enough to place your phone and book on will be sufficient and space saving.
The fun part comes in when you can add a personal touch to decorate your bedroom. Add mirrors with colourful frames, use creative wall stickers of words or a phrase that you love. You could find modern mirrors such as interesting lipstick mirrors at popular furniture stores. This allows your bedroom to reflect who you are which will make you feel more comfortable.
Use bright and bold throws to decorate your bed at a minimal while keeping the theme of modernism. Match the scatter cushions with the same colour as the throws and add additional cushions with a pattern.
Make white the main colour if you have a small bedroom. White creates the illusion of space. White is also a simple colour that allows you to experiment with lots of bolder and brighter tones in the decor. Technically, so does black but it will give the illusion of smaller space which makes the atmosphere seem crowded.
Experiment with odd geometric shapes. You can do this with most bookshelves or paintings. The geometric shapes in the décor will give you a fun and free feeling that is in line with modernism.
Do you love the curve of a graceful turned leg? Is button upholstery your passion? Is your favorite color “toile”? Just kidding… it’s a pattern! You’ve come to the right place!
French Country is not just a decorating style, it’s a mindset. On the one hand, it’s a particular look, and always vintage with a hint of nostalgia. On the other hand, anything goes. You can mix materials and textures and just have fun with it.
Some hints: Try to stay with soft yellow, baby blues, and creams. Unless you’re working with a particular French country motif, such as roosters, sunflowers, or lavender. Use baskets, wire or woven, to get a rustic feel. Keep natural materials in mind while you’re decorating. Natural stone, wool, cotton, wood. And, back to toile. It really defines French country.
Let’s start with the most important room, the bedroom. What style bed do you want? You can go from a pared down wrought iron bed… painted a nice cream color. Or, take it all the way to an ornate Sofia bed with button upholstery. Do you prefer a sleigh bed, or maybe something with a canopy? Any of these will work, as long as you have an armoire. No decent French bedroom would be without an armoire. If it has a crackle paint finish, even better. Do your best to fit some toile into your private oasis.
In the dining room, keep it welcoming, old world, and rustic. Mismatched chairs are okay… just paint them the same color. Pair them with a wooden or metal table. Keep the window treatments light, but indulge yourself with a beautiful chandelier. You may want to use shutters for an old world feel.
Will your kitchen have a theme? Roosters and olives are popular for the kitchen. Bring in the baskets and jars to give your kitchen the country feel. A kitchen table should be painted wood. Bring the natural elements into play.
Now to the living room. You have a lot of options here as well. A chaise lounge will do well in the bedroom, but it’s right at home in the French country living room as well. You have a wide variety of chairs that will suit your room, and you’re free to mix and match. Take a look at the traditional French accent chair, the French provincial chair, the wingback style, and the medallion armchair, all keeping with the French country style. Or… just go for an oversized armchair. Here again, if you like button upholstery, buy it. Lots of people think it gives the furniture an elegant, finished look. Is there room for toile in the living room? Okay, let’s move on.
I like the lavender theme best in the bath, but some people like to incorporate it into the bedroom or kitchen. It’s just a matter of preference. Vive la difference!
The most important think about choosing furniture and decorating with it is to have fun. If you feel overwhelmed, get a second opinion. There are many furniture companies that specialize in French Country furniture. You shouldn’t have trouble finding an interior decorator to help you choose some pieces for your French country home.
The home altar is enjoying a definite comeback in many American homes. Although it is not an entirely new idea, as home altars or chapels were all the rage for the great houses and castles built across Europe. Many Eastern religions encourage a personal and direct connection with the Divine power through daily prayers at a home altar. Soldiers throughout thousands of years carried talismans of their religion with them as a form of a portable altar that they could take with them in their travels.
Your home altar can be as simple or elaborate as you choose it to be. However, regardless of your beliefs, you can create a place in your home that honors your faith and Higher Power.
Some basic ideas:
*Find a place for your altar that is easily approachable. You do not want to have to move your altar every time you want to set the table for dinner.
*Get a piece of nice fabric or lace for an altar cloth. Although not required, but it helps support the idea that the space is “special”.
*A small statue of a religious figure (Buddha, Christ, etc.) or a representation of nature is a good focal point.
*A small candle.
*An incense stick holder and incense sticks.
*Create your altar so that it appeals to you and your connection with your Higher Power.
*A spiritual-themed book or the primary source for your religion.
*Once you have created your altar, ask for the blessings of your higher power to bless your own sacred space.
When you feel you have completed your altar, make it an essential part of your daily life.
Ideas for utilizing your home altar:
*Giving thanks for the day, your life, or any other blessings you may have received
*As a place for meditation or prayer
*A place to bring your troubles and to work out emotional pain
*A place to renew your faith
*Write it down a desire to manifest on a slip of paper and leave it on your altar.
An altar can be a place of community and healing within the home. Invite family members or housemates to make their own contributions to the altar and allow them to see how you incorporate your beliefs into your everyday life. This can encourage them to give the Spirit a more emphasized place in their lives. The point of setting up an altar is to honor your connection with your spiritual nature, so make it happen.
It can never be imagined that how this confined place can give an awesome luxurious feeling within us if we can decorate the place in a unique way. The more you can design the bathroom in a lavish way, more you will be able to make it a comfort zone.
Let us take 10 possible ways of bathroom decoration, which can convert the bathroom in an ultimate de-stressing zone.
The courtyard bath
This will really be a unique way to design the bathroom. Courtyard bathing is just perfect for alfresco bathing. In this kind of bathroom, you will get a spa-like experience. Such outdoor bathing place is needed to be enclosed with trees and ferns. Here one can surely use the backsplash mosaic so that it will add tenderness to the whole place.
The pool with a view
Bathroom designed with marbles is all time favorite among the homeowners as these are easy to maintain. Here you can opt for the floor to ceiling glass windows so that your bathroom can get an abundance of sunlight.
The natural bath
This is a conventional way to design a bathroom. The periphery of the shower can be designed with greenery and the bathtub will be flower covered. This will give a Caribbean feel.
The travertine bath
For every penthouse bathroom, marble is known to be the best designing tool. This will separate the wet area within the bathroom with frameless glass door with a frosted look.
The library bath
The louvered windows here will surely make the way to enter more sunlight. The bathtub can be placed on a wooden platform which will no doubt give an extraordinary look to the bathroom.
The ensuite bath
This style is catching up very fast and people are loving it hugely. The best thing about this style is that these are open ensuite which covering the bedroom and the bathroom.
The eclectic washroom
This type of washroom can easily be designed with a soft gray wall and ultimately this bathroom will develop into an elegant place.
The vintage powder room
This type of washroom is decorated with antique mirror and mini bathtub like a basin. This design is just awesome and will give you extreme refreshment.
The freshly whitewashed bathroom
The ultimate freshness you will get from this design. You can add bold color and exclusive hand painted walls with yellow shade. Here you can place triangular wall pocket for the lamps so that it will become completely contemporary in look.
The palace bath
When you will visit a palace, if you enter their bathroom, the arches and shapes will surely make the bathroom more gorgeous and speaks about the luxury!
When you bought a house or leased an office space, the next thing you will think of is designing the space to something you love or suit your style and purpose. It will be a problem if you just do it on your own unless you are a professional interior designer. Apparently, if you need one, there are experts in interior design who can help you achieve the design you want for your haven or office. However, if you are on a limited budget, then you will need these interior design ideas that will help you to jumpstart the job and have a guide to follow.
You can have a fabulous home or office with some inexpensive interior design ideas below:
Home Interior Design
Make it Cosy. Everyone wants to come to a relaxing home after a long day outside. To do this, bring lots of subtle colours and soft lines to help bring a sense of warmth and comfort to any space.
Go Trendy. A trendy style can bring life into your home. Brickwork and beams are good materials to add a trendy look. This style will also bring a sense of maturity as well as a mixture of vintage and modern look that never goes out of style.
Would you like it bohemian? Bohemian are for explorers who prefer to be unique. If you are like this, bright colours and vibrant patterns should be your priorities. For a more daring or messy yet beautiful look, try adding eastern flavour to the theme.
Bring in the natural light. You can incorporate windows and glass doors to give the light a chance to enter your home. It’s actually up to you as long you find a way to get light into the right areas of the house. Also, choose the right blinds as this will also compliment the light.
Add nature in your home. They say there are psychological benefits of adding outdoor or nature vibe in your home. Some pots and plants will make it relaxing to stay indoors.
Include arts within your home. Any artwork can add depth to the look of the interior. The art pieces you choose to display can have direct feel of the space. It’s good to get some outdoor-inspired artwork or family portraits in the great outdoors to bring natural look to your home.
Office Interior Design
Usually, businesses hire interior designers to work on the design of the office space. But some small business prefer to do it on their own since they usually have a smaller space. Business owners should keep in mind that offices are not just about workstation but area for collaboration. There’s always an affordable commercial office interior design service that can assist them but if they prefer to it themselves, here are some tips:
To avoid eating spaces for electrical outlets on walls and on floors, you can try the latest modular power grid that is suspended from a ceiling and offers drop-down lighting and outlets.
Furniture choices should be carefully assessed. In a small office, it’s not about quantity but quality yet stylish pieces which can help elevate a look.
Instead of creating workstations for computer and its components, you can opt for laptops instead so you would just need a durable table to serve as workstations for the rest of the team.
Interior design is a hard task and the experts here studied for years to provide services. You can always find the best interior design company that suit your purpose and budget. But if you want to style your own space and experience the work itself, then the interior design ideas mention above can be your guide.
Our homes are often a reflection of our style. However, if you live in a neighborhood where it seems as though every third house has the same floorplan as the one you own, then you may be longing for a place that is truly designed around your needs and your personal style. After all, there is more to owning a home than having one just like the Smiths down the block!
If this sounds familiar, then a custom home is just for you. With a myriad of home designs available, and the ease of changing the floorplan to meet your needs you can quickly have a home that is everything you have ever wanted!
Here are some other advantages to having a custom home built:
1. Fulfilling a dream – Let’s face it. There is something special about being able to walk into a home and know that it is designed exactly to your specs and needs. From the number and size of the bedrooms, to the garage and the state of the art kitchen, a custom home can be everything you desire.
2. Save money – Contrary to what might think, a custom home typically cost less than buying a ready-made home. After all, in most pre-existing homes, there will be some type of upgrade or remodel necessary. By building a home of your own design, there will be no reason to remodel.
3. Everything is new – When you purchase an existing home, you get minimal information about the status of the appliance, plumbing, electrical, etc… Consequently, you spend the first few years learning the home’s nuances and quite possible replacing things. With a new build, you know the history of each element. Sure, there will still be things to discover, but at least it won’t be a constant chore of replacing or upgrading.
4. More energy efficient – Older homes often need more work done on them, be it HVAC systems, doors, windows or water system in order to be energy efficient. With a new build, you can be sure that the home is at the top of the efficiency technology.
5. Landscaping – When you buy a home, you often need to spend time redesigning the landscaping to suit your level of involvement. With a custom home, you can decide how much time you want to invest in yardwork and plan the landscape accordingly.
6. Décor – With an existing home, it is common to go in and paint. Of course, that first means putting down sheeting or taping of areas to protect it from any paint. With a custom home, the painting can be done prior to moving furniture, which make it a much easier task.
If you are wanting a home that truly shows off your uniqueness, then now is the time to start planning a custom home. After all, there is no reason to settle for status quo. Talk to a local builder and learn more about having a home designed and built that suits your needs, your style and your budget. In no time at all, you can have a custom home ready to move in to.
The kitchen is ideally said to be the hearth of the home and it is much more than just a space to cook and dine. If you are considering something more than just some apparent changes or are designing an entirely new kitchen, a certified designer can make the most of the space by the incorporation of beauty, functionality and efficiency. Here are some vital reasons to appoint a certified kitchen designer for your kitchen. Just read on to know more.
- Go Beyond Beauty – Once you hire a certified designer you can rest assured that your kitchen will go much beyond the looks. You have to balance both the aesthetic and the functional elements of the kitchen. These two things often come in conflict with each other and that is why only professionals can ensure that both the aspects harmonise in a unique way. Your designer will interview you to know the cooking habits you have, your sense of style, the number of cooks you allow and your storage habits. On the basis of that your kitchen will be designed to suit every need of yours.
- Be Benefitted from Experience – A certified kitchen designer has years of experience in planning a new remodelled kitchen with specific needs in the mind. This can turn out to be highly beneficial for your kitchen. The greater the experience the better it is for you. As this way, your needs can be catered to in a more specific way.
- Gain Inside Information – A kitchen designer delves into redesigning your kitchen in the best possible way. The designers have relationships with many product fabricators to customise your kitchen design. As the kitchen designer works on kitchens every day, he or she has may know resources that you are not aware of. In order personalise your kitchen, the designer has personal relationships with many fabricators. Thus, you kitchen becomes the true expression of your choices.
- Save Money – When you hire a kitchen designer, he or she helps you to save a lot of money. You can ask your designer about how money can be saved in case of appliances, cabinetry and countertops. You will be pleasantly surprised at the choices of products and designs that you will receive to keep your budget in check. According to the designers, creativity can be expressed in the best way possible.
- Get Attention to Detail – There is much more to a kitchen than just choosing the right floor, great sink, countertop materials and cabinetry. A great kitchen consists of window placement, lighting, electrical, plumbing, heating, venting and many other mechanical issues. Your kitchen designer has experience in working around these pieces of the kitchen puzzle.